Dr Dinah Parums is a freelance writer, editor, and consultant in medicine and life sciences, with the following expertise:
- Medical degrees (B.M., B.Ch.) and postgraduate training from the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford.
- Ph.D. in Experimental Pathology from the University of Cambridge.
- Higher specialist postgraduate medical training, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford (MRCPath in 1991 and FRCPath in 1999).
- Ten years of experience as a Consultant in the UK National Health Service (NHS), including as a Senior Lecturer at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Imperial College, London. This role involved clinical work, management, teaching and research and preparation for laboratory accreditation.
- More than 25 years of teaching experience (undergraduates, postgraduates, scientists, health workers, non-scientists) in the form of handouts, newsletters, presentations, publications and courses.
- More than 25 years of medical research experience; supervisor to five PhD students (Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, London, and Newcastle); more than 40 peer-reviewed publications, which can be found at: http://www.dr-dinah-parums.com.
- More than ten years of experience working with and in the pharmaceutical industry, both as a Consultant and as a Principal Pharmaceutical Physician (Pfizer Global R&D and AstraZeneca).
- Experience as a Clinical Editor for the British Medical Journal (BMJ).
- Experience as an Examiner for the Royal College of Pathologists (1995 to 2002).
- Awarded the Fellowship of the American College of Chest Physicians (FCCP) in 1999.
- Member of EMWA and ISMPP since 2013.
- Member of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) since 2014.
- More than 25 years of experience as a Peer Reviewer for biomedical journals; currently for Medical Science Monitor, BioMed Central, and Cancer Biomarkers.
- Elected to the Editorial Board of Medical Science Monitor in 2016.
- BIOMEDICAL COPYWRITING, PUBLICATION PLANNING & EDITING
- Manuscript publication planning, preparation, and writing.
- Manuscript editing prior to journal submission.
- Manuscript editing for authors for whom English is a second language (ESL) (currently, Crimson-Enago, EDANZ, and Charlesworth Group)
- Writing scientific and medical review articles, including ‘B2B’ white papers and executive reports.
- Document editing for scientists, physicians and patients.
- Preparation of teaching and training material for clinicians and scientists.
- Preparation of health and science information for patients.
- Writing postgraduate education material in cardiovascular, respiratory, diabetes, immunological and oncology therapeutic areas.
- CONSULTING IN LIFE SCIENCES
- Providing literature reviews and writing review updates in life sciences.
- Communicating with key opinion leaders (KOLs) in clinical medicine, academic medicine, and the pharmaceutical and finance industries.
- Providing specialist consulting input in several disease and therapeutic areas (oncology, translational science, respiratory medicine, cardiovascular medicine, inflammation, tissue repair).
- Copywriting content for online web pages, blogs, newsletters, press releases, product insights for medical devices and new therapies, and marketing content.
- HEALTH & SCIENCE EDUCATION
- Writing and reviewing teaching material for medical students (all disease areas).
- Writing and reviewing teaching material for students in the life sciences and biomedical sciences.
- Writing and reviewing patient information about health, science and research.
- Preparation of CME material for doctors and other health professionals.
- CME content writing (previously, for Net and Medscape).
EXAMPLES OF RECENT WORK:
Publications, patents, and books are listed on Dr Dinah Parums’ website: http://www.dr-dinah-parums.com
The following are three most recent publications:
1) Parums DV. Monograph: Current Status of Targeted Therapy in Non Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). Drugs Today 2014, 50(7): 503-517. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/10248939/Current_Status_of_Targeted_Therapy_in_Non_Small_Cell_Lung_Cancer_NSCLC_
2) Parums DV. Invited Review: Status of Immune Therapy in Non Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). Drugs Future 2014, 39(7): 469 – 475. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/14478210/Status_of_Immune_Therapy_in_Non-Small_Cell_Lung_Cancer_NSCLC_
3) Donovan MJ, Kotsianti A, Bayer-Zubek V, Verbel D, Teverovskiy M, Cordon-Cardo C, Costa J, Greco FA, Hainsworth JD, Parums DV. A systems pathology model for predicting overall survival in patients with refractory, advanced non small-cell lung cancer treated with gefitinib. Eur J Cancer, 2009 May;45(8):1518-26. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/7643757/A_systems_pathology_model_for_predicting_overall_survival_in_patients_with_refractory_advanced_non-small-cell_lung_cancer_treated_with_gefitinib